(1) Latin Wolfgangus; German Wolfgang. The standard authority on the subject is P. Stackel, Wolfgang and Johann Bolyai, 2 vols., Leipzig, 1913, with excellent bibliography. There is also a "Vita di Giovanni Bolyai," by M. Darvai, in the Atti of the Congresso internaz. di sci. storiche, XII, 45.
(2) Corresponding to the German Gymnasium
(3) I.e., "market-place on the Maros" River.
(4) Born at Bolya, February 9, 1775; died at Maros-Vasarhely, November, 1856. Referred to in German works as Wolfgang Bolyai, and in other works occasionally in the Magyar form, Bolyai Farkas.
(5) September 16, 1804, and December 27, 1808.
(6) Az arithmetica eleje (Elements of Arithmetic), Maros-Vasarhely, 1830.
(7) Tentamen Juventutem Studiosam in Elementa Matheseos Purae . . .introducendi, 2 parts, maros-Vasarhely, 1832, 1833. The book bears the Imprimatur of 1829.
(8) Stackel, loc. cit., I, 35.
(9) Appendix. Scientiam spatii absolute veram exhibens: a veritate aut falsitate Axiomatis XI Euclidei (a priori haud decidenda) independentem . . .
(10) Born at Klausenburg (in Magyar, Kolozsvar), December 15, 1802; died at Maros-Vasarhely, January 27, 1860. He also uses the Latin form, Johannes Bolyai.
(11) For a further discussion see Volume II, Chapter V.
(12) For a list of his works see Stackel, loc. cit., I, 205.