Office: Room 019, Kassar House
Mailing Address: Department
019 Kassar House
151 Thayer Street
Providence, RI 02912
Email: gterrence at math dot brown dot edu
I work on problems in the intersection of combinatorics, algebraic geometry and probability. I am visiting Yale for the academic year 2019-2020. I received my PhD from Brown University in 2020 advised by Rick Kenyon. Starting fall 2020, I will be a postdoc at the University of Michigan.
- Dimers and Beauville systems. (in preparation; with Alexander Goncharov and Rick Kenyon.)
a convex integral polygon, we can construct a dimer integrable system
and a toric surface. We show that the spectral transform is a birational
isomorphism of the dimer integrable system with the Beauville integrable
system associated to the toric surface.
- Cluster modular groups of dimers and networks. (with an appendix by Giovanni Inchiostro.)
We compute the group of symmetries of the dimer integrable system. Each element of the group gives a way to shuffle the dimer model, generalizing domino-shuffling.
- Spectra of biperiodic planar networks.
Associated to the Laplacian on a biperiodic planar network is its spectrum, a curve and a certain divisor on it (see image below for an example depicting the divisor on the amoeba of a spectral curve). We provide a classification of biperiodic planar networks in terms of their spectrum.
arctic curves from periodic cluster modular transformations.
To appear in IMRN.
Cube groves are a model for random surfaces. In the scaling limit, they exhibit phase transitions where the phase boundary is a deterministic algebraic curve (see image below).
Invited talks- February 3, 2020 - Probability seminar, Cornell.
- January 28, 2020 - Combinatorics seminar, Dartmouth.
- November 15, 2019 - Combinatorics seminar, University of Michigan.
- November 8, 2019 - Integrable probability seminar, Columbia University.
- September 19, 2019 - Combinatorics seminar, Yale University.
- August 7, 2019 - Algebra and Combinatorics seminar, Indian Institute of Science.
- January 23, 2019 - ICTS-TIFR conference (Universality in random structures: Interfaces, matrices, sandpiles.)
- August 8, 2018 - Indian Institute of Science.
- July 23, 2018 - Bangalore probability seminar, Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Bangalore.
- April 10, 2018 - Discrete math seminar, Brown University.
Slides from talks
Limit shapes for cube groves.
- Fall 2018 - Math 90: Introductory Calculus I (Instructor).- Fall 2017 - Math 200: Intermediate Calculus (for Physics/Engineering) (Instructor).
- Spring 2017 - Math 200: Intermediate Calculus (for Physics/Engineering) (TA).
- Fall 2016 - Math 100: Introductory Calculus II (TA).
Directed reading program:
-Spring 2018 - I mentored Jackson Markey. We read portions of
"Enumerative geometry and string theory" by Sheldon Katz.