Joseph H. Silverman
Office: 202 Kassar House
Phone (direct): (401) 863-1124
Phone (dept office): (401) 863-2708
Fax: (401) 863-9013
- Mathematics Department
Providence, RI 02912 USA
- Academic 2016/2017
Spring - Math 2540 - Number Theory
- C hour (S01 - CRN:24774) (10:00 – 10:50), Kassar 105
- Academic 2017/2018
Research Interests: Number theory, elliptic curves,
arithmetic and Diophantine geometry, number theoretic aspects of
dynamical systems, cryptography
Mathematical genealogy and list of Ph.D. students
CV and Publications
Click Here for a CV and complete list
- Moduli Spaces and Arithmetic Dynamics,
CRM Monograph Series 30, AMS, 2012.
- An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography,
with Jill Pipher and Jeffrey Hoffstein,
Springer-Verlag, UTM, 2008. 2nd Edition 2014.
- The Arithmetic of Dynamical Systems,
Springer-Verlag, GTM 241, 2007.
- A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory, Pearson,
1997. 4th Edition 2012.
- Diophantine Geometry: An Introduction, with Marc Hindry,
Springer-Verlag, GTM 201, 2000.
- Advanced Topics in the Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves,
Springer-Verlag, GTM 151, 1995.
- Rational Points on Elliptic Curves, with John Tate,
Springer-Verlag, UTM, 1992. Expanded 2nd Edition, 2015.
- The Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves,
Springer-Verlag, GTM 106,
1986. Expanded 2nd Edition, 2009.
- Cryptography and Lattices Conference (CaLC 2001),
editor, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2146, Springer-Verlag, 2001.
- Modular Forms and Fermat's Last Theorem, co-editor with
Gary Cornell and Glenn Stevens, Springer-Verlag, 1997.
- Arithmetic Geometry, co-editor with Gary Cornell,
Selected Preprints and Reprints
Click here for preprints and reprints available on the
for PDF and Powerpoint slides of selected presentations.
The following reference sheets are being
made available as a service to the general mathematical community.
They should be printed landscape (i.e., rotated 90 degrees).
I'm an editor for
The New York Journal of Mathematics.
Links to Number Theory Sites, Elliptic Curve Sites
and Other Sites of Interest
Go To Mathematics Department
Send questions and comments to: